- Myth: Head lice prefer dirty hair. Lice are non-discriminatory when it comes to hair cleanliness. They simply require any human hair, whether squeaky clean or completely greasy. Lice feed on tiny bits of human blood, and the hair is just a place where they hang on. Also, washing your hair repeatedly as a way to get rid of the lice will not work. They can withstand being submerged in water for hours and have a pretty firm hold on the hair follicle.
- Myth: You must clean everything to get rid of lice. This is a common myth that has everyone frantically running around, cleaning their home from top to bottom, washing and rewashing their linens. Lice do not live in the home, only on the human head. Lice can only live removed from the human head for 48 hours or less, so only the items that have come into contact with persons’ heads will need to be cleaned. Items to clean include the infected person’s bedding, hairbrushes/combs, stuffed animals on the bed, and any hats, scarves or helmets worn recently.
- Myth: Pets can carry lice. Have no fear, your pets do NOT carry head lice. Lice are a human parasite and only survive on human blood. Dogs and cats can only get fleas.
- Myth: Over the counter lice shampoos will get rid of lice. Lice have developed resistance to the chemicals in the most common over the counter treatments. A study published in 2016 shows 98% of lice are now resistant to over the counter shampoos and many prescription treatments as well.
- Myth: Lice prefer long hair. This is a very common myth associated with head lice. So many people have chopped or shaved hair off of their children’s head when confronted with head lice, but the sneaky parasite can live on hair as short as 0.1 inch! They like to hang out as close to the scalp as possible, so go ahead and keep your locks as long or as short as you like.
- Myth: Head lice can jump from one person to another. Lice cannot jump, nor do they have wings! They can only crawl, which is why they are passed through direct contact. This is one of the reasons why avoiding direct contact with another’s hair or head is the best way to protect yourself from getting head lice.
If you are currently dealing with head lice it’s very important to be treated effectively, in order to get rid of it quickly and prevent it from spreading to others.
The treatments at Pediatric Hair Solutions have greater than 99% effectiveness rate and we offer a 30 day 100% guarantee.
You can view each of our treatment services here.
To make an appointment or get more information, call 704-909-9414.
If you do not live near one of our treatment centers, we recommend using our Home Treatment Kit. The kit contains two 8 oz. bottles of non-toxic Treatment Solution, a bottle of Enzymatic Mousse to help remove the eggs/nits, and a Terminator Nit Comb.