An itchy scalp can be caused by any number of things. Whether an allergic reaction to a product or even dandruff, dealing with the itchiness is frustrating. If you’re looking to relieve an itchy scalp quickly and easily, then DIY treatments might be the best way to go. These simple and effective treatments are made from products found in most homes or at your local grocery store.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Vinegar, a natural antimicrobial substance, can help restore your scalp’s natural pH level, which may be one cause of itchiness. Simply mix 1 part organic apple cider vinegar with 1 part water and pour mixture into hair, massaging gently into the scalp. Let sit for a few minutes, before rinsing with water. An added bonus of this rinse is it also cleans and revitalizes your hair leaving your whole head feeling fresh and itch-free.
- Baking Soda – There are a couple different ways you can use baking soda as a treatment for an itchy scalp. One way is to add a teaspoon to your regular shampoo regimen, and another is to make a paste from baking soda and water and massage directly over your scalp before rinsing with water. If your itching is caused by dandruff, then baking soda is one of the most effective DIY treatments out there. For an extra dandruff-fighting punch, add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil to the paste, but keep in mind that the oil is extremely potent, so less is more!
- Aloe Vera – A versatile and gentile substance, aloe vera is helpful in relieving an itchy scalp caused by irritation. Find as pure of aloe vera as possible, or better yet, get it directly from an aloe plant! Massage directly on your scalp then rinse and shampoo your hair. For anyone with sensitive skin, aloe vera is a great place to start to relieve an itchy scalp.
- Coconut Oil & Honey – This may be the best smelling DIY treatment for an itchy scalp, and boy, is it effective! Both ingredients are naturally anti-bacterial and highly moisturizing, which makes for a great combo for fighting an itchy scalp. This treatment is best when heated, so we recommend combining 1 part each, coconut oil and honey, in a small saucepan and heating over low heat and stir until completely incorporated. Massage thoroughly into scalp and leave on for about 5-10 minutes before shampooing.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is great for the scalp with its cleansing and purifying properties and great, fresh scent. You can apply fresh lemon juice directly to your scalp for a dandruff-busting treatment or combine with coconut oil or olive oil for a more moisturizing treatment. Be sure to shampoo after using an oil treatment.
If you discover that your itchy scalp is in fact caused by head lice, then contact the professionals at Pediatric Hair Solutions for a consultation and treatment information!