Head lice is the second most common communicable disease next to the common cold so it’s important to know the facts in order to help prevent the spread of head lice.
97% of head lice is spread through direct head to head contact. So the best way to prevent head lice is to avoid hair-touching, head to head contact including taking selfies, hugging and whispering.
Here are additional head lice prevention tips that we recommend following to keep you or your loved ones lice-free:
- Don’t share brushes, combs, scarves, hats, helmets, towels, pillows, hoodies, ponytail holders, etc.
- Keep hair in tight buns or braids. See our video tutorial on the best hairstyles to prevent lice!
- Spritz hair with Pediatric Hair Solutions mint scented lice preventive spray each morning to help repel lice.
- Put jackets inside zipped backpacks at school.
- Keep your personal items away from community piles.
- Avoid community costumes and hats at schools and museums. Don’t try on hats at stores.
- Bring your own headphones to school.
- Wear a hoodie to the movies and on airplanes or take a lint roller to roll your seat.
- Take your own pillow and sleeping bags to sleepovers.
- Perform a weekly head check so that you find lice early and avoid spreading to others.